Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Royal Opera House in Muscat

Muscat's one of the most beautiful buildings seems to be Royal Opera House. So far I had seen it only from the car window but now when my cousin was visiting us it was a good chance to go to see a performance there. Around Christmas, "Broadway On Ice" was played. 



We arrived early to collect the tickets (that I had bought online about a month earlier; I chose tickets that costed 10OMR (around 20€) per person; there were cheaper and more expensive tickets available) and then we had enough time to go for a short walk around the opera house (but we could not go all around; it seems one side of the opera house and garden is VIP zone) and enjoy some cakes in a café nearby. Then it was time to go back to the opera house. Our handbags got scanned and we had to go through security gate - what an experience! I mean I have never visited any theatre with that kind of security control. Then, I was curious to see what the locals wear in the opera house. Actually there are some strict rules about dress-code in the opera house's webpage: The dress code is formal or business including suits or dinner jackets for men and conservative dresses below the knee for women. Dishdasha and Massar for Omani. No jeans, t-shirts, or tennis shoes. 

There were relatively few Omanis enjoying the performance, most of the audience seemed to be either tourists or expats. And to my surprise not many women cared about conservative dressing and there were many skirts or dresses above the knees and some naked shoulders. Not among Omani women, of course, they were wearing abayas (with more decorations than usually seen). But I also did not see anybody sent back from the door, so I suppose they are actually rather relaxed about the dress-code.

The performance was great! I had never seen figure skating live, so I really enjoyed the performance with beautiful and advanced choreography and beautiful music. While watching the performance I could not help but wonder how relaxed Oman actually is. I mean, the skaters were wearing "common" short skater skirts and there was quite some passion in the performance. But maybe that's why there were so few Omanis enjoying the performance because it is still "over the limits" for some locals? Anyway, it was a very enjoyable evening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment